Sunday 22 April 2012

Lesson 44: Finishing off Instrument Training (EX19)

When my QXC was cancelled this Tuesday I booked a lesson to finish off my hours instrument training. This was today and so this morning I headed up to the airport to do this. Since quite recently easy jet have launched a significant service from Southend. The arrival and departure path is close to the normal training area for the flying school so it will be interesting to see how this pans out (conflict wise). During my lesson I had the "foggles" on to restrict my vision to just the cockpit, but my instructor paused the lesson and told me to look ahead without them. Sure enough, just over a 1000 feet above us was an easy jet airliner leaving for somewhere in Europe. He said "you dont want to be getting in the way of these boys".

The lesson went ok, apparently the ppl test includes a test for doing a 180 turn once or twice with the foggles on. Obviously it's about keeping altitude maintained. My instructor mentioned that previously the ppl required 4 hours of instrument training. I think that would have been quite good.

Anyway, the lesson went well and we headed back. I wasn't too happy with how I got myself setup on base and the approach could have been better. That said the landing was ok, my instructor said it was good. I would say it more salvaged a sloppy approach. So that was that. 5o minute dual with 40 minutes covering Ex19 instrument flying.

I do have another QXC booked for Tuesday so we shall wait and see. It will be the third one, so maybe third time lucky we shall see.


44. 24/04/12 C152 G-BNKV EGTO EGTO 11:35 12:25 0:50 EX19 (40 minutes)
HOURS = 38:05 DUAL + 09:10 SOLO

No comments:

Post a Comment