Saturday 11 May 2013

Book Review: Stick and Rudder by Wolfgang Langewiesch

This book is one of the so called 'classics' for people learning to fly. For some reason or other, I never read it until recently and to be honest I really wished I had done so earlier. Its very easy to take in because the author has a unique and simplistic way of describing the 'Art of Flying'. To its credit it has been in print for over 60 years, so clearly his prognosis has easily stood the test of time. 

I bought the hardback cover version published by McGraw-Hill Inc. It contains about 390 pages split into 7 main topics, an index and a special appendix on "The dangers of the air". Interspersed throughout the book are diagrams to assist the authors efforts in getting the message across. For anybody interested in learning to fly at whatever stage I would highly recommend the book. For me personally I liked the way the author used the analogy of the "kid brother" telling you how to fly an aeroplane. For example... if you asked your kid brother how to gain altitude he would say pull back on the stick etc... he uses the analogy of the over simplistic, often misleading view to remind the reader what is really going on with the aircraft. I think it is a very effective approach to learning. I will definitely pick up the book again and dip into different sections of it, as I think it is a educational yet entertaining read that can be enjoyed time and time again. It gets a very solid 8 / 10 from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment