Tuesday 18 September 2012

Lesson 48: Aborted Land-Away


September 13, 2012 - I was supposed to have a confidence boosting "Solo Land Away" at Lydd but I got as far as Ashford and when I called up the ATIS (basically airport weather information) on the radio I misread the wind to be a cross wind outside my limits. I made the decision to abort the trip to Lydd and return to Rochester. When I landed back at Rochester (it was a good full flap landing on 34) I double checked my figures on my knee board and realised I could have made an attempt. That said, I guess I erred on the side of caution. I want to be a good pilot but I really want to be a very safe pilot so I resigned myself to another day. 



During the flight, everything else came flooding back to me including the radio and I did some VOR tracking to Detling and navigation. It felt good and I was particularly pleased with my landing back on Runway 34.

In joining the circuit I did find somebody encroach quite close to me as I joined overhead and turned downwind. They were leaving for Calais and to me at least really didn't look like they were 2000 feet (basically 500 feet above me).


Anyway, still a confidence boosting 50 Minutes to my solo Pilot In Command time, although I was annoyed with myself that I didn't get to land away.


My instructor and I agreed that my Solo Qualifying Cross Country would be the  following Tuesday. September 18th!  Oh by the way, on the way back from Ashford I took the opportunity to quickly take a couple of quick snaps.













*48. 13/09/12 C152 G-BNKV EGTO EGTO 10:55 11:45 0:50 EX18 Ashford
HOURS = 40:50 DUAL + 10:20 SOLO


No comments:

Post a Comment